Minnesota Transportation Museum (Mtm) Is Located at the Historic Jackson Street Roundhouse. This Building Was Originally a Steam Engine Maintenance Facility for the Great Northern Railroad.
The Roundhouse Was Built in 1907 and Was One of the Last Roundhouses Built by the “empire Builder,” James J. Hill. It Replaced a Smaller Wooden Engine-house of Saint Paul & Pacific. The Roundhouse Was Part of a Large Shop Complex Built in the 1880s.
Located near Downtown Saint Paul Just North and East of the State Capitol, the Complex Had Been Sold by Great Northern in 1960. The Roundhouse Was Then Remodeled as a Warehouse/Industrial Building. All the Tracks Were Removed and an Addition Was Built Where the Turntable Used to Be.